The Duchess is suing Associated Newspapers over the publication of parts of a handwritten letter to her father, which she claims breached her privacy, along with copyright and data protection laws.
But the judge struck out her claim that the newspaper group had acted dishonestly, “stirred up” issues with Thomas Markle Snr and had an “agenda” against her.
In a written judgment, Mr Justice Warby said those claims were irrelevant in law, presented to the court inadequately, or disproportionate to investigate.
The Megulators and Sussex Squaders will no doubt disagree, but this was the right decision. What Meghan and her lawyer, David Sherborne (whom Hugh Grant reportedly has on speed dial), were trying to do was turn this case into her own personal public inquiry. But this case isn’t a Leveson II and nor should it be.
Breach of privacy, copyright and data protection are all fair claims. However, the notion that newspapers who publish negative stories about certain public figures have a vendetta against them is not only impossible to prove, but costly. The lawyers are already benefiting handsomely from this action, which is set to go all the way since neither side appears to be willing to back down and consider an out of court settlement. As I’ve said before, whatever the outcome, the only real winners here are going to be those charging by the hour.
Yet there is an intriguing twist to this story following the news that Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand’s book about the Sussexes, Finding Freedom, is set to hit the bookshelves in August.
Designed to “set the record straight” from the couple’s perspective, the publication is likely to be highly critical of the tabloids Harry and Meghan have grown to hate.
I know both Omid and Carolyn personally and I wish them all the best with this book – but I do wonder if Omid may have inadvertently compromised Meghan’s case by telling Good Morning America that she intended the contents of the letter to be made public.
Speaking to the US network in February, he revealed that Meghan “knew in her heart of hearts that this was going to be released to the papers.” He added: “Many of those things in that letter were written with the public in mind. She very much wanted to set the record straight.”
If Meghan always intended the letter to be made public, according to the man supposedly writing “her” side of the story, was it ever really private?
According to this article, the book was started when cracks began to appear between Meghan & the RF in the lead up to the wedding in 2018!!! This only means one thing to me. She had already started planning her scam while she was still dating Harry! https://t.co/Q2ekCuq6uW
— Duchess Royal #StayHomeSaveLives 👸🏽 (@things_royal) May 4, 2020